After 15 years in two Springfield locations, the company needed more space to grow its business. An excellent opportunity arose in Holyoke at the former Baker-Vawter plant in Springdale, and Springfield Photo Mount officials took advantage of it to relocate. The former plant had 27,000 square feet of space, while the Holyoke plant had 70,000 square feet.
The Baker-Vawter plant at 686 Main Street had been vacant since the company moved to Cambridge in 1929. In January 1934, Springfield Photo Mount leased the plant and brought 175 workers to Holyoke. Conrad Hemond, secretary of the Holyoke Chamber of Commerce, was instrumental in getting the company to Holyoke.
The building was constructed in 1910 by the Casper Ranger Construction Company. It had been built for the Baker-Vawter Company by the Holyoke Water Power Company.
Springfield Photo Mount began operating in Holyoke on or about May 1, 1934. The company anticipated that with its additional space, it would have a workforce of 300.
By October 1934, the company was working at full capacity and was growing. In early 1937, the company made a significant move by purchasing the Cowan division mill building from White & Wyckoff Manufacturing Company. The mill building had been constructed in 1916.
This was located at 475 Canal Street, containing 100,000 square feet of spaceon 4 floors and a basement. The occupants, including Thorne Printing Company, the Electric Game Company, and Roberts Fibre Box Company, needed to relocate by the end of 1938. Springfield Photo Mount's lease at its current plant on Main Street was set to expire at the end of 1939.
The company's move to Canal Street began in mid-July 1939 and was completed that month. Employees returned from their summer vacations and moved into the new plant.
In 1941, the company employed 350 workers. It also leased the top floor of the former Farr Alpaca Auditorium on Cabot Street for storage.
The company, as well as National Blank Book Company, was affected during World War II, when the War Production Board banned album production to sustain raw materials for the war effort. The ban was partially lifted in 1943.
On September 13, 1951, William Shaine died at age 81. As part of his estate, he willed $100 to each employee with five ormore years of service with the company. A new chapter was about to begin under new leadership.
Citations:
Newspapers.com (paid subscription): Citations: Holyoke (Massachusetts) Transcript & Transcript-Telegram; publication dates and pages are shown.





























No comments:
Post a Comment