This is another story of a company that started out in small quarters, then expanded into its own building, and thrived for over 80 years. This is the account of the American Braiding Company.
In March 1918, ex-Holyoke mayor John H. Woods and Barnett Feinstein leased a floor of the new Holyoke Valve and Hydrant Company building at 150 Race Street. The American Braiding Company was formed in April 1918 to perform a range of braiding operations, from shoelaces to covered wiring. 175 braiding machines were to be installed for the plant, which would start out with 26 to 30 workers.
In mid-October 1918, the business was incorporated with Bernett Feinstein, Bessie Feinstein, and Earl Mellion, the incorporators.
In January 1920, the owners initiated plans to construct their own mill. This was planned for the northeast corner of Appleton and Race Street. The corner lot was purchased from Eugenie O. Lafrance. Initial plans called for a 7-story building. The plan was for the American Braiding Company to occupy the basement and first three floors. Mr. Feinstein had received several inquiries about leasing the upper floors. P. J. Kennedy Company, Inc.was awarded the contract to build the steel-reinforced, fireproof brick building.
The business was rapidly growing. 80 employees were on hand working 300 machines. It was anticipated that another 240 workers would be hired once the new building was outfitted with 900 additional machines. The cost of the 55-foot-by-100-foot, 7-story building was estimated at $100,000 to $150,000. The building would provide an extra 40,000 sqare feet of manufacturing space. The company's main products were corset laces and shoelaces.
In February 1920, the American Braiding Company acquired a second parcel of land from M. J. Bowler, also 55 feet by 100 feet, just north of its corner lot purchased from Mr. Lafrance. This resulted in a change of plans for the initially contemplated structure. The revised plant called for a four-story plant running 105 feet on Race Street and 103 feet on Appleton Street. Two additional stories were planned for the future. The building was completed in 1920.
The second annual Holyoke Auto Show was held in the American Braiding Company building from February 24 to 26, 1921. There were 32 autos exhibited and 30 accessory exhibits.
Meanwhile, the company was busy producing lace, cord, and electrical and cable wire. Many goods that could be stored and shipped on large spools were manufactured.
The company was successful in leasing portions of the building in 1922 to Judd Paper Company, Philip Hano Company, and Philip Harmon & Company from New York. A permit was sought to add a three-story addition to accommodate both the raiding company and prospective tenants.
In 1922, Bernett Feinstein, the corporate President and Treasurer at the time, purchased the building from the corporation for $250,000.
In 1924, the Holyoke School Department considered temporarily renting a portion of the building for the vocational school's machine and printing shops. The final decision was to use the space available in Springdale's Century Machine Shop on Main Street.
In 1932, the American Braiding Company listed for sale real estate it owned at the northeast corner of Dwight and Maple streets for $185,000. New England Container Company of Connecticut leased 5,000 square feet of spaceon the second floor of the Feinstein building at 166 Race Street.
In 1936, Monte Feinstein, the Treasurer and General Manager of the company, was appointed a lieutenant in the U. S. Naval Academy. He attended local schools and graduated from the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania.
In 1938, Eastern Specialties Company leased an additional 5,000 square feet of space in the building. The company now had 18,000 square feet for its business.
The Feinsteins' plan to operate in a portion of the mill and lease space to other businesses was working well.
Citations:
Newspapers.com (paid subscription): Citations: Holyoke (Massachusetts) Transcript & Transcript-Telegram; Springfield (Massachusetts) Republican; publication dates and pages are shown.
Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System, Boston, Massachusetts
Ancestry.com (paid subscription): Price & Lee Holyoke, Massachusetts, City Directories
History of Massachusetts Industries, Chapter XXVII, Orra Stone, 1930

































No comments:
Post a Comment