Not all paper-making of paper processing plants had their origins in Holyoke. One plant that arrived from outside the area was the Baker-Vawter Company, headquartered in Chicago, which operated several plants throughout the Midwest.
The Baker-Vawter Company decided to add a plant in Holyoke primarily due to the efforts of the Holyoke businessmen's association, selling the company on Holyoke's benefits.
The plant, which started production in 1899, was situated in the Whitcomb building at 30 Dwight Street, a plant shared with other start-up companies. This was later renumbered 434 Dwight on November 26, 1906. The company would lease an entire floor of the building.
The Whitcomb building was located adjacent to the west side of the First Level Canal, on the south side of Dwight Street. The William Skinner Mill was later located on this property. As of 2025, the International Volleyball Hall of Fame is situated on a portion of the former mill's footprint.
The Holyoke mill would initially employ about 30-40 workers in the manufacture of loose-leaf paper. By June 1900, the company had 65 employees and was so overwhelmed with orders that it was considering adding more space.
In 1900, the press feeders walked out as wage talks stalled. The following year, the Bookbinders' union sought a reduction of workday hours from 10 to 9.
In 1904, the parent company shifted some of the administrative staff to New York City to allow for more manufacturing space.
On October 27, 1909, officials of the Baker-Vawter Company announced that excavation would begin the following day for a new mill at the southeast corner of Main and Berkshire Streets. The 4-story mill building would stretch 70 feet along Main Street and 325 feet along Berkshire. The contractor selected for the $130,000 project was the Casper Ranger Construction Company.
The land was owned by the Metal Sectional Furniture Company, organized in Maine and headquartered in Benton Harbor, Michigan. Its principal officer was William Vawter. In 1916, the mill was conveyed to the Baker Vawter Company.
In 1927, the Baker-Vawter Company was one of several companies included in a major merger that formed the Remington-Rand Corporation. This began a fascinating journey over the next 33 years.
In August 1927, the newly formed corporation announced it would build a new factory building just south of its present location to employ 300-400 additional workers. Holyoke would become the northeast distribution center for typewriters and office equipment.
The construction would hinge on a New Haven-Hartford rail service line being extended to the new location.
If built, the new facility would install new machinery for the assembly of typewriters and additional office equipment. Twenty-nine additional presses would be added to the twenty-three in place. The company initially held back on announcing the plans to keep its options open. However, everything was falling into place, so the announcement was made.
The initial optimism turned into disappointment.
Two months after the expansion announcement was made, Remington-Rand decided to scuttle its Holyoke venture and instead centralize in a leased facility in Cambridge. Holyoke Water Power Co. offered the company a rail right-of-way over its land. The city of Holyoke extended its cooperation in assisting with the development. The city did not want to lose this productive company.
A month later, in November 1927, a significant flood turned portions of Springdale into a lake. The Baker-Vawter mill was surrounded by and inundated with water.
In February 1928, reliable reports indicated that Remington-Rand was reversing course and considering moving its Library division from the leased quarters in Cambridge to the company property owned in Holyoke. However, in January 1929, the Holyoke plant was temporarily closed and moved to Cambridge, where it would operate at full capacity. The story of Remington-Rand in Holyoke was paused.
There were several interested parties in leasing the idle plant. It was not until 1934 that a lease was signed, bringing Springfield Photo Mount to Holyoke. In 1938, Springfield Photo Mount relocated to its own plant on South Canal Street.
In 1938, Remington-Rand considered moving its Cambridge operation to the idle Holyoke mill, but ultimately relocated to Tonawanda, New York, outside of Buffalo. The Remington-Rand story was put on pause again.
In June 1946, Remington-Rand decided to move its printing mill from Brooklyn, New York, to Holyoke. Once permits were approved, the Casper Ranger Company embarked on an extensive renovation project at the plant. The work was completed and the plant was in full operation in February 1947.
The plant continued to operate until 1960, when Remington-Rand, now a division of Sperry-Rand Corporation, announced that the remaining 35 employees would be laid off, as operations were shifting either to North Tonawanda, N.Y., or Benton Harbor, Michigan.
The factory was sold on several occasions thereafter. Subsequent owners included: Data Documents Incorporated (1967-1974), Pratt & Austin Company (1974-1985), Holyoke Energy Recovery Company Inc. (1985-1988), HERCO Development Association (1988-1990), McCormick/Partyka Holyoke Realty Trust (1990-2012), and UWM Holdings Inc. (2012-present).
Citations:
Newspapers.com (paid subscription): Citations: Holyoke (Massachusetts) Transcript & Transcript-Telegram; Springfield (Massachusetts) Republican; publication dates and pages are shown.
Hampden County Registry of Deeds, Springfield, Massachusetts
Assessors' Office, Holyoke, Massachusetts









































































No comments:
Post a Comment