Followers

Sunday, May 18, 2025

Ward 4 Pool

 By the early 1920s, all of the city's bathhouses except for the Ward 1 pool were either unused or demolished. In the 1922 and 1923 Municipal Registers of the City of Holyoke, the Holyoke Board of Parks and Recreation Commission recommended that a new pool be built to replace the Ward 4 bathhouse, which was in poor condition.

The pool site selected was a triangular parcel outlined by Lyman, Pine, and Prospect Streets. The pool, which was twice the size of the former Ward 4 bathhouse, opened in July 1925.

Days were designated for boys and girls, and time was allotted for adults in the evening.

In addition to open swim, swim lessons were given, life-saving techniques were taught, and swim racing and diving competitions were held. A water polo league with other city pools was formed for boys and girls to compete. 

In 1928, a heavy brown curtain was hung around the pool fence to discourage onlookers, causing a stir.

In 1933, with the assistance of workers provided by the Soldiers' Relief Department, gravel pathways and grading around the pool area were performed to enhance the appearance.

In December 1955, a fire occurred in the pool house, which was used during the off-season to store park benches and other supplies. The structure's damage was minimal, although firefighters had to break through a portion of the west wall to extinguish the flames.

Close to 14,000 used the pool over the nine-week summer season in 1965.

The pool continued to operate through 1973 and was subsequently demolished as part of the Holyoke Redevelopment Authority's Ward 4 Urban Renewal project.

Citations:

Newspapers.com (paid subscription): Citations: Holyoke (Massachusetts) Transcript & Transcript-Telegram; Springfield (Massachusetts) Republican and Morning Union; publication dates and pages are shown.

1923 Municipal Register of the City of Holyoke


                  View of the Ward 4 pool looking westerly from Pine Street (Lyman St. is on the left)





                                  
  

1923 Holyoke Parks and Recreation 






























































No comments:

Post a Comment

Mid Town Restaurant (Restaurant Week)

In December 1955, Frank Del Monte sold his restaurant at 596 Dwight Street to Holyoke resident Julia Adelson. The buyer had 30 years of expe...