Holyoke has long had a history of developing some of the area's finest parks and playgrounds. Today's account traces the roots of Crosier Field, which many of you may have enjoyed, or had family members enjoy, during your lifetime.
Our story begins with James Rowe Ball, a descendant of one of the first settlers and prominent families in what was then called the North Parish of West Springfield. Born on January 28, 1836, he was a part of the eighth generation of the Ball family and the son of Colonel Edward Heman Ball and Phoebe (Fink) Ball. The family's connection dates back to 1745 when Benjamin Ball acquired land for his homestead at Northampton and Westfield Streets.
The location of his residence and land associated with his home on Northampton Street is shown on the map below, at the corner of Northampton and Cherry Streets. This is the only home he, his father, and grandfather ever lived in. James Rowe Ball, unmarried, was the last of his four siblings.
The family had a very large farm, which today is the location of Community Field Park, a portion of the north and southbound lanes of I-91, and additional wooded land along the lower portion of the access road to Scott Tower.
In May 1913, James R. Ball leased the field opposite his residence on the Northampton Street side to the City of Holyoke for recreational purposes. The annual rent was $100 for the 5-year lease term. The land is presently bounded by Beech and Northampton Streets, Mackintosh Terrace, and the City of Holyoke, Dr. William R. Peck School.
On March 6, 1921, James R. Ball died at the age of 85.
City officials and residents had long called for the development of a major sports complex. Some of the areas considered at one time or another included Riverside Park (now Springdale Park), Beech Street Grounds (now Mackenzie Stadium), and Prospect Street Grounds (now Mitchell Field).
In February 1922, city officials had the option to purchase the property at assessed value for the development of a playground. Steps were taken to appropriate $30,000 for this purpose. The option was set to expire on March 16, 1922; however, an extension of time was granted by John Hildreth, Probate Court Judge.
The city closed on the purchase of the approximate 10-acre parcel of land on April 11, 1922, for $25,180. A separate transaction for a much smaller parcel occurred on April 20, 1992, when the former Counihan property owned by the Ball Estate was transferred to the city for $4,000. The deeds were recorded on August 5, 1922, after the Board of Aldermen gave the Parks and Recreation Department authorization to complete the purchase.
The park was outfitted with an array of playground equipment for children, including swings, slides, and rings. A tennis court was added later in 1927. Frank Kelliher, director of the Elmwood playground, added a three-hole golf course to the property. Although its condition was not "up to par" compared to the area's municipal courses, it was heavily used, especially on weekends. There were several such one- and two-hole pasture links throughout the city.
The Holyoke Transcript sponsored a nine-hole tournament for youngsters held at the Elmwood Grounds, Churchill, and Anniversary Hill, with three holes at each. The most precarious was Churchill, described as follows:
"The Churchill course over in the lots near the sandbank and back of the blocks on Sargeant Street is one of the most hazardous courses in the world. Piles of brick, old masonry, sand heaps that are gigantic bunkers, roads, ditches and bramble bushes, thick grass all go to make the course, short as it is, one of the most difficult to navigate in the city."
The grand opening of two double tennis courts with a compound surface occurred on July 15, 1930. The opening featured tennis players from the Holyoke Canoe Club giving an exhibition with several hundred onlookers in attendance.
The story continues in Part 2 with the dedication and renaming of the Elmwood playground.
Citations:
Newspapers.com (paid subscription): Citations: Holyoke (Massachusetts) Transcript & Transcript-Telegram; Springfield (Massachusetts) Republican; publication dates and pages are shown.
Richards Atlas of Holyoke, Massachusetts, 1911,
Hampden County Registry of Deeds, Springfield, Massachusetts










































No comments:
Post a Comment