Followers

Thursday, August 27, 2026

Cray Bros. Bakery (1902-1910)

Recently, the story of Patrick J. Cray and the Cray's Soda Company was posted to this blog. Before starting his bottling business, in the early 1900s, he operated a bakery for a short time at 100 Maple Street. It turns out that several of Patrick Cray's siblings were also engaged in the baking business. Today, we recount the story of Cray Brothers Bakery.  

Abbie T. Cray was the mother of nine children and the widow of Michael Cray, who died in the late 1800s. The family emigrated from Ireland in the 1860s, initially moving to Wilkes-Barre, PA, and eventually settling in Holyoke in the early 1890s.

In 1894, the city directory lists Abbie Cray as operating a confectionery store at 123 Walnut Street, then relocating to 148 Dwight Street a short distance away. 

In 1896, she purchased the building at the then-numbered 148-152 Dwight Street (later identified as 718-722) at the southeast corner of Walnut Street. As shown on the 1895 map below, there was also adjoining land running east to the alley between Elm and Walnut Streets.  The property was purchased from George C. Ewing, and the deed was recorded about 5 years later on March 14, 1901. G. P. B. Alderman & Company was hired to design the building that became 712-716 Dwight Street, after the street was renumbered.

Daniel F. and William J. Cray opened Cray's Home Bakery, later renamed Cray Brothers Bakery, at 146 Dwight Street in 1902. In 1904, Daniel Cray left the business and opened the D. F. Cray Bakery at 4 Harrison Ave. William Cray renamed the Dwight shop Cray's Bakery. The D. F. Cray Bakery was short-lived.

In May 1905, William Cray joined with Jeremiah J Cavanaugh, a grocer, in forming the Dwight Street Market and Bakery at 148-152 Dwight Street. This partnership spanned approximately two years.

In 1906, Abbie T. Cray purchased the real estate immediately behind her Dwight Street holdings at 712-716 and 718-722 Dwight Street. The land on Walnut had 50 feet of frontage and extended back to the alley about 108 feet. A new block was constructed, replacing existing structures at 718-722 Dwight and 116-118 Walnut Street. There were several mortgages on the property, including a rather large one for $34,000 with Daniel O'Connell's Sons, possibly the building's contractor.

In 1907, William J. Cray teamed up with his brother Michael Cray to operate the Cray Bros. Bakery at 712 Dwight Street, the building erected 5 years earlier. The photo below depicts that scene. The bakery carried bread, pies, doughnuts, cakes, and baked beans.

The business continued until around 1910, when it was sold to Aldis Blaisdell, who operated his bakery until 1946. Frank Deknis then continued the baking tradition until 1951. In 1954, Solomon Flooring conducted business at this location, then moved to Hillside Avenue in 1960.

After selling the bakery, William Cray began his bottling and liquor business around 1913 at 718 Dwight Street. At the time, his brother Patrick J. Cray was operating his bottling business at 1615 Northampton Street.

Citations:

Newspapers.com (paid subscription): Citations: Holyoke (Massachusetts) Transcript & Transcript-Telegram; Springfield (Massachusetts) Republican; publication dates and pages are shown.

Ancestry.com (paid subscription): Genealogy Records and Price & Lee, Holyoke, Massachusetts, City Directories

Then: Second Location of Cray Bros. Bakery (1907-1910)

Now: Google Maps 712 Dwight Street (2026)

712-716 Dwight Street (2026)


1895 Sanborn Insurance Map. 
In 1896, Abbie Cray purchased the building and adjacent land, 
outlined in blue, at 148-152 Dwight Street.


Abbie Cray acquired the real estate outlined in the years shown.
1911: Richard Atlas of the City of Holyoke, Massachusetts


























































No comments:

Post a Comment

Connecticut River Paper Co. (1888-1899)

This is the third of a three-part series devoted to three papermaking companies that succeeded each other on the same parcel of land over th...