Followers

Saturday, March 21, 2026

Mid Town Restaurant (Restaurant Week)

In December 1955, Frank Del Monte sold his restaurant at 596 Dwight Street to Holyoke resident Julia Adelson. The buyer had 30 years of experience in the restaurant business, including 18 years as owner of the Star Restaurant at 438 High Street. Mr. Del Monte had other business interests, including ownership of the Bridge Cafe and Bridge Caterers, both located at 1054 Chicopee Street in Willimansett. 

The restaurant had its share of name changes over the years. These included the Phoenix Dairy Lunch, Phoenix Lunch, Phoenix Lunch and Bakery, Phoenix Restaurant, Park Cafeteria, Can-Del Restaurant, and Del Monte Restaurant. It would now be called the Mid-Town Restaurant at 596 Dwight Street. After remodeling was completed in December 1955, the restaurant held its Grand Opening on January 4, 1956. 

The restaurant operated 7 days a week and touted its safe food-handling practices and select local purveyors, such as Holyoke’s Bissell’s Dairy and Glessmann’s Ice Cream. Equipment was furnished by the Holyoke Auction House on High Street. Breakfast, lunches, and dinners were served during its 5 AM to 8 PM business hours.

The restaurant changed ownership in 1959, when Armand M. Chartier was listed as the owner, and again in 1960, when Mr. & Mrs. Patrick Donoghue became proprietors.

On June 27, 1961, an auction of the equipment and furnishings was conducted by the long-time, noteworthy Holyoke auctioneer and Deputy Sheriff, Edward Sacks. For 596 Dwight Street, this was the end of its 49-year restaurant history. A.J. Charbonneau Insurance Company filled the vacated resaturant space.

In 1963, a second Mid-Town Restaurant opened at 283 1/2 Maple, the former location of The Maples and Orlandi’s Lucheonette. This was owned by George Blankenburg, who purchased the restaurant from Emilio Orlandi. In turn, Mr. Blankenburg transferred the business to Mary Dec. The restaurant continued into September 1964, and no further information was found thereafter.

For those who recall the Phoenix Lunceonette and Fruit Store during the 1960s through the 1980s, this was another business that had long filled the space at 602 Dwight Street, a few storefronts west of 596 Dwight, since the early 1900s. This will be researched and shared with all in a later episode.

Citations:

Newspapers.com (paid subscription): Citations: Holyoke (Massachusetts) Transcript & Transcript-Telegram; Springfield (Massachusetts) Republican; publication dates and pages are shown.

Ancestry.com (paid subscription): Price & Lee Holyoke, Massachusetts, City Directories


Mid-Town Restaurant, 596 Dwight Street (1956)







































Friday, March 20, 2026

Del Monte Restaurant (Restaurant Week)

The story of the Phoenix Restaurant was not yet complete. In October 1945, Peter Cannone and Frank Del Monte acquired the Phoenix Restaurant from Manuel Lazopulos, who had owned the restaurant for 2 years. The new owners continued to use the Phoenix Restaurant name until mid-1946.

Changes were in the air. The two partners had acquired the former Dutchland Restaurant at 129 Chestnut Street in June 1946. After renovations were completed, the Chestnut Street eatery was renamed the Can-Del Food Shop and the Phoenix Restaurant was renamed the Can-Del Restaurant.

On August 2, 1946, the Can-Del Food Shop opened for business. This Chestnut Street venture was intended to showcase seafood entrees along with other dishes. There were 20 booths installed along with available counter service, pretty much standard for many restaurants of this era. In 1947, the business changed its name to Cannone’s Food Shop. 

At about the same time, the Can-Del Restaurant at 596 Dwight Street was renamed the Del Monte Restaurant. 

The Chestnut Street eatery was short-lived, closing in 1948. A sale of the Cannone Food Shop assets took place on July 22, 1948.

Del Monte Restaurant continued to operate at 596 Dwight Street until it was sold to Julia Adelson in December 1955. Julia Adelson previously owned the Star Restaurant on High Street for 20 years. The Del Monte Restaurant would be renamed the Mid-Town Restaurant, a story which continues in the next chapter of eateries at 596 Dwight Street.

Citations:

Newspapers.com (paid subscription): Citations: Holyoke (Massachusetts) Transcript & Transcript-Telegram; Springfield (Massachusetts) Republican; publication dates and pages are shown.

Ancestry.com (paid subscription): Price & Lee Holyoke, Massachusetts, City Directories


Frank Del Monte

(Red Rectangle) Can-Del Restaurant 1946, later Del Monte Restaurant 1947-1955
596 Dwight Street
(Blue Rectangle) Can-Del Food Shop 1946, Cannone’s 1947-1948 
129 Chestnut Street



























Site of Cannone’s Food Shop, 129 Chestnut Street 
Google Map view 2026




























Mid Town Restaurant (Restaurant Week)

In December 1955, Frank Del Monte sold his restaurant at 596 Dwight Street to Holyoke resident Julia Adelson. The buyer had 30 years of expe...